Jim covered Congress and The White House during the George W. Bush administration for The Washington Times, and worked as a reporter, editorial writer and columnist for newspapers in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and California. He has appeared on the Fox News Channel, CNN, MSNBC, C-Span, and many local and national talk radio shows to talk politics and policy.
Latest posts by Jim Lakely (see all)
- President Obama Poised to ‘Ratify’ Fake Paris Climate Agreement in China - September 1, 2016
- Heartland Daily Podcast – Chris Hughes: On the Front Lines of the FDA’s War on Vaping - August 25, 2016
- GOP VP Candidate Mike Pence Praises The Heartland Institute - July 20, 2016
We’re hosting the only Chicago stop for National Review’s Jonah Goldberg on his tour for his latest best-seller, Tyranny of Cliches — Jonah’s follow-up to his seminal book Liberal Fascism, a source of endless irritation to leftist who no longer can run from their legacy. Jonah’s new book, as he promised, is just as insightful, but it’s funnier than … well … exposing the sad history of liberal fascism.
Join us tomorrow evening (Thursday) at Jaks Tap in Chicago for an event featuring an open bar of craft beers (included in price of admission), great conversation and fellowship, and a chance to listen to Jonah talk about his new book. The founding father of the great National Review Online will also be available to sign books and to take photos.
According to Jonah Goldberg, if the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist, the greatest trick liberals ever pulled was convincing themselves that they’re not ideological.
Today, “objective” journalists, academics, and “moderate” politicians peddle some of the most radical arguments by hiding them in homespun aphorisms. Barack Obama casts himself as a disciple of reason and sticks to one refrain above all others: he’s a pragmatist, opposed to the ideology and dogma of the right, solely concerned with “what works.” And today’s liberals follow his lead, spouting countless clichés such as:
- One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter: Sure, if the other man is an idiot. Was Martin Luther King Jr. a terrorist? Was Bin Laden a freedom fighter?
- Violence never solves anything: Really? It solved our problems with the British empire and ended slavery.
- Better ten guilty men go free than one innocent man suffer: So you won’t mind if those ten guilty men move next door to you?
- Diversity is strength: Cool.The NBA should have a quota for midgets and one-legged point guards!
- We need complete separation of church and state: In other words all expressions of faith should be barred from politics …except when they support liberal programs.
With humor and passion, Goldberg dismantles these and many other Trojan Horses that liberals use to cheat in the war of ideas. He shows that the grand Progressive tradition of denying an ideological agenda while pursuing it vigorously under the false flag of reasonableness is alive and well. And he reveals how this dangerous game may lead us further down the path of self-destruction.
Read this Douglas Wilson review of Jonah’s book, and watch Jonah talk about his book on Glenn Beck TV below. Then register to attend (below that):