Jim covered Congress and The White House during the George W. Bush administration for The Washington Times, and worked as a reporter, editorial writer and columnist for newspapers in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and California. He has appeared on the Fox News Channel, CNN, MSNBC, C-Span, and many local and national talk radio shows to talk politics and policy.
Latest posts by Jim Lakely (see all)
- Fidel Castro is Dead - November 26, 2016
- Professor Watchlist: Are These Radicals Teaching Your Kids? - November 21, 2016
- The Next Vice President of the United States, Mike Pence, Praises The Heartland Institute - November 9, 2016
Americans are getting increasingly angry about the realities of Obamacare — and for good reason. President Obama’s promise that “if you like your health care plan, you can keep it” turns out to mean something else: If Obama likes your health care plan, you can keep it. If he doesn’t, you’re out of luck … and a lot of money, choice, and liberty.
Millions of Americans who were happy with their health insurance plans in the individual market are now getting “pink slips” from their insurers. Millions more who get their insurance from their employers will experience the same next year. That leaves many Americans with what “liberals” today would frame as a false choice (but a genuine false choice this time): Either pay dramatically higher premiums — with a much higher deductible — or go to the always-crashing Healthcare.gov website and enter the government exchanges … where you will see fewer choices and high premiums and deductibles.
The Heartland Institute has been warning about this stark reality for years. Catch up on our research on this topic at the links below, and become a member of The Heartland Institute to remain current on the developing, government-caused health care crisis in America.
- Heartland Senior Fellow Peter Ferrara had Obamacare nailed from the beginning. Get a copy of his book, The Obamacare Disaster.
- Ferrara had it figured out in 2009, as well. Read this Heartland Policy Brief from 2009 titled Obama Health Plan: Rationing, Higher Taxes, and Lower Quality Care. A larger collection of Ferrara’s work on Obamacare can be found here.
- The Heartland Institute’s Government Relations Department produces a regular stream of “Research & Commentary” documents for local, state, and federal legislators. Check out the latest Obamacare-related outreach here.
- The Heartland Daily Podcast has also provided extensive coverage of Obamacare. Click here to see the latest episodes.
- Also review Obamacare-related posts here at Heartland’s blog, Somewhat Reasonable. In a recent post, Heartland Senior Fellow for Health Care Policy Benjamin Domenech was a guest on Glenn Beck’s The Blaze TV to talk about Kathleen Sebelius’ Oct. 30 testimony to Congress. Lots of truth at that link in a short amout of time.
- Check out Heartland’s coverage of Obamacare at the Health Care section of the Heartlander, a digital version of Health Care News — which is a print publication sent monthly to legislators across the country.
For even more Obamacare news coverage, research, commentary, and podcasts, browse Heartland’s enormous data base of free-market knowledge called PolicyBot. Just enter “Obamacare” or “Affordable Care Act,” or other relevant terms of your choice in the search window.