Latest posts by Donald Kendal (see all)
- In The Tank (ep119) – Eucalyptus Trees, TN Pork Report, Bail Reform, and the Life of an Alarmist - December 15, 2017
- In The Tank (ep118) – The Anti-Development World Bank, Tax Reform Gets Closer, Home Businesses - December 8, 2017
- In The Tank (ep117) – ALEC’s Jonathan Williams, Net Neutrality, Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act - December 1, 2017
John and Donny continue their weekly exploration of think tanks across the country in episode #52 of the In The Tank Podcast. This weekly podcast features (as always) interviews, debates, and roundtable discussions that explore the work of think tanks across the country. The show is available for download as part of the Heartland Daily Podcast every Friday. Today’s podcast features work from the Nevada Policy Research Institute, the Cato Institute, the Rhode Island Center for Freedom and Prosperity, and The Heartland Institute.
Better Know a Think Tank
Donny and John welcome to the show Michael Schaus, Communications Director at the Nevada Policy Research Institute. Along with talking a bit about himself and his organization, Michael joins the podcast to talk about National Employee Freedom Week. Schaus discusses the importance of employee freedom and what the unique challeges exist in the state of Nevada.
Featured Work of the Week
In this Featured Work of the Week segment, Donny and John talk about the highly anticipated 2016 Freedom in the 50 States report by the Cato Institute. This mammoth report factors in 200+ state policies from fiscal rules to personal freedom. Despite being awestruck by the scope of the report, Donny and John discuss the methodology of the study and some of the findings.
In the World of Think Tankery
In this week’s “think tankery” segment, Donny and John talk about a report from the Rhodes Island Center for Freedom and Prosperity titled “Renewable Energy in Rhode Island: Big Cost, Little Difference.” While the report was produced by a state-specific organization, the report covers a dozen states and how they are negatively impacted by Renewable Power Mandates.
The last topic John and Donny discuss in this episode is the fact that Monday marks the 20th anniversary of the landmark welfare reforms made in 1996. John talks about the progress welfare reform has made since the 90s and why it has been so beneficial.
- (Saturday, August 27) The Independence Institute – Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms Party @ the Kiowa Creek Sporting Club in Bennett, Colorado
- (Wednesday, August 31) The Heartland Institute – Global Warming Then and Now, a debate about global warming @ The Heartland Institute in Arlington Heights, Illinois.
- (Friday, September 2) Americans for Prosperity – 10th Annual Defending the American Dream Summit @ the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida.
- (Thursday, September 15) The Heartland Institute’s 32nd Anniversary Benefit Dinner featuring P.J. O’Rourke @ The Cotillion in Palatine, Illinois.