Latest posts by Donald Kendal (see all)
- In The Tank (ep90) – Center of the American Experiment, Stadium Subsidies, and NY Universal Health Care - May 26, 2017
- In The Tank (ep89) – Gov Regs Increase Car Prices, Amtrak Nonsense, and How the Gov Ruins Paradise - May 19, 2017
- In The Tank (ep88) – School Staffing Surge, CO2 Endangerment, Cig Taxes, and Cali Commies - May 12, 2017
John and Donny continue their weekly exploration of think tanks across the country in episode #61 of the In The Tank Podcast. This weekly podcast features (as always) interviews, debates, and roundtable discussions that explore the work of think tanks across the country. The show is available for download as part of the Heartland Daily Podcast every Friday. Today’s podcast features work from Truth in Accounting, the Manhattan Institute, and the Texas Public Policy Foundation.
Featured Work of the Week
Today’s PolicyBot featured work of the week comes from Truth in Accounting. The report, titled “Financial State of the States 2015,” examines the financial situations the 50 states find themselves in an effort to bring citizens “easy-to-understand, truthful, and transparent financial information from their governments.” The report subtracts the states liabilities from their assets to determine the burden placed upon the taxpayers of the state.
In the World of Think Tankery
Donny and John discuss a report from the Manhattan Institute titled “This Land Was Your Land: A Closer Look at 80 by 50.” Eighty by 50 is a new pledge supported by many politicians and environmental groups proposing an 80% reduction in carbon-dioxide emissions by the year 2050. This report examines the sheer lunacy of this plan and its implications. For example, the wind power component of the plan alone would require a land mass equivalent to the state of Texas.
Next they talk about a policy brief from the Texas Public Policy Foundation titled “Boosting Graduation Rates in Texas through Education Savings Accounts.” This brief discusses the hypothetical benefits of an education savings account program.
- (Thursday, October 27) The Acton Institute – 26th Annual Dinner with keynote speaker Rev. Paul Scalia @ the JW Marriott Hotel in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- (Wednesday, October 26) The Heartland Institute – 2nd Annual Women in Politics Event featuring several Illinois state representatives @ The Heartland Institute in Arlington Heights, Illinois.
- (Saturday, November 12) Thomas W. Smith Foundation, and the Center for History of Political Economy is sponsoring an event called “the End of Socialism.” @ Duke University in North Carolina.