- In The Tank (ep204) – Climate “Contrarians” Blacklisted? Red Flag Laws - August 16, 2019
- In The Tank (ep203) – Bernie Sanders on Joe Rogan Podcast: A Response - August 9, 2019
- In The Tank (ep202) – Craziest Proposals From Democratic Candidates - August 2, 2019
John and Donny are back! They continue their exploration of think tanks in #37 of the In The Tank Podcast. This weekly podcast features (as always) interviews, debates, and roundtable discussions that explore the work of think tanks across the country. The show is available for download as part of the Heartland Daily Podcast every Friday. Today’s podcast features work from No Labels, The Heartland Institute, the Independence Institute, and the Illinois Policy Institute.
Featured Work of the Week
This week’s featured work of the week is from No Labels – an American political organization based in the United States, composed of Republicans, Democrats, and Independents. The piece highlighted is titled “Playbook for America’s Next President.” The guide offers 60 policy ideas that intend to solve problems that revolve around four specific goals in America – all solutions are said to have bipartisan support. John and Donny discuss a handful of this solutions and give their thoughts on the guide.
In the World of Think Tankery
Today Donny and John talk about a new Research & Commentary by The Heartland Institute titled “Wind & Solar Energy Growth Driven By Government Mandate.” The R&C highlights findings from a Berkeley National Laboratory report that attributes 60% of the growth in the renewable energy industry to government mandates. While the report most likely intended to highlight the importance of government mandates, the findings show how these energy sources fail to compete in the free market.
They also discuss an Issue Brief from the Independence Institute titled “Amendment 69: What You Need to Know About the ‘ColoradoCare’ Single-Payer Health Care Measure.” The brief outlines what the plan for a single-payer health care system would mean for the state and all the negative effects that would come with it.
Lastly, John and Donny talk about a recent proposal by an Illinois lawmaker to introduce a progressive income tax system to the state. The plan is dissected by several articles produced by the Illinois Policy Institute. The plan would have introduced a top taxing tier of 9.5 percent. As Donny and John comment, this will just speed up the exodus of citizens from the state.
- American Enterprise Institute – Has the Federal Reserve Gone Too Far? (Monday, May 9) @ American Enterprise Institute in Washington D.C.
- The Heartland Institute – Nature Unbound: Bureaucracy and the Environment, a book talk by Ryan Yonk @ The Heartland Institute in Arlington Heights, Illinois
- Mackinac Center – Free Market Solutions to Problems in Health Care @ the Radisson Hotel in Lansing, Michigan