- In The Tank (ep204) – Climate “Contrarians” Blacklisted? Red Flag Laws - August 16, 2019
- In The Tank (ep203) – Bernie Sanders on Joe Rogan Podcast: A Response - August 9, 2019
- In The Tank (ep202) – Craziest Proposals From Democratic Candidates - August 2, 2019
John and Donny continue their weekly exploration of think tanks across the country in episode #54 of the In The Tank Podcast. This weekly podcast features (as always) interviews, debates, and roundtable discussions that explore the work of think tanks across the country. The show is available for download as part of the Heartland Daily Podcast every Friday. Today’s podcast features work from the American Federation for Children, the Yankee Institute, and the Competitive Enterprise Institute.
Featured Work of the Week
Today’s PolicyBot featured work of the week comes from the the American Federation for Children (AFC). Last week, the AFC released their first ever School Choice Report Card. the report card is a ranking of 27 general education private school choice programs. John and Donny discuss the report, the methodology on how the ranking was determined and some of the results.
In the World of Think Tankery
Donny and John start off this segment discussing a bizarre story out of Connecticut. Two major retailers are disregarding state minimum pricing laws and selling liquor for less than the law allows. Lobbyists are trying to make the case that these retailers should be shut down. On the other hand, scholars from the Yankee Institute are calling for these outdated minimum pricing laws to be repealed.
The next story comes from the Competitive Enterprise Institute. They published an article that discusses how ethanol is more carbon intensive than traditional gasoline. Donny and John discuss the implications of this finding to the overall ethanol debate.
- (Thursday, September 15) The Heartland Institute’s 32nd Anniversary Benefit Dinner featuring P.J. O’Rourke @ The Cotillion in Palatine, Illinois.
- (Wednesday, September 7) Mercatus Center – Monetary Rules for a Post-Crisis World @ George Mason University in Arlington, Virginia
- (Wednesday, September 7) American Enterprise Institute –Protecting the Financial System from Panics: A Discussion with Hal S. Scott in Washington D.C.
- (Wednesday, September 14) The Cato Institute – Socialism and Human Nature @ The Cato Institute in Washington D.C.